Be mindful of that pile of rags in the garage
If you've ever used a rag to apply stain to your wood working project you know how stain just makes everything more vibrant. The color of the grain, the curves of the carving, and sometimes even a bag of rags!
Rags and wood dust being piled up after cleaning up the garage can cause a fire to innocently start. The oils and ingredients in the stain end up causing heat and if all the ingredients are there a fire can start.
The smoke from the rags/stain are bad enough, but couple that with many of the items you have in your garage and you can imagine the damage that can be done.
If you run into this scenario give SERVPRO a call. Our highly trained team has the knowledge of the various materials and how they need to be cleaned. Just like every piece of wood is different, different types of fires/materials require varying methods of cleaning.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.