Summertime Water Conservation Tips
Keep your plants happy and your water bill low with a few simple points.
With summer now in full swing, it's time to consider how to keep your lawn and garden it tip top shape while also considering how to keep your water bill down. Here are a few tips from Popular Mechanics on how (http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/lawn-garden/how-to/g559/9-water-conserving-tips-for-summer-gardening/):
- Don't over water - a good rule of thumb is that a lawn needs 1 inch of water a week and perennial plants and shrubs will need from 1 inch to 2 inches a week. When in doubt, keep the plant's soil lightly moist and see how it responds. Over-watering is just as bad as under-watering; it leads to root rot and soil compaction that robs the roots of air.
- Water in the morning - If you water while it's (relatively) cool outside, water can soak in before it evaporates on the surface. And if you do it in the morning, that helps the plant to take up the water during the day.
- Don't waste water - Don't soak the plant's foliage; it does little good. If you see water puddling or running off, stop; let the water soak in before resuming. Likewise, water that runs off your lawn or off the top of a flower bed onto paved surfaces does no good. The same applies to running lawn sprinklers: Water your lawn, not the side of your house or the driveway.
Mold - Things You Need to Know
Control moisture and reduce your odds of mold - SERVPRO of Kent can help!
- There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
- If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
- Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60%) to decrease mold growth by:
- Venting bathrooms, dryers and other moisture-generating sources to the outside
- Using air conditioners and de-humidifiers
- Increasing ventilation
- Using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing and cleaning
- Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, providing moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.
For more, see this great page by the Environmental Protection Agency:
Kent Rains Bringing Storm Damage Pains? SERVPRO is Here to Help!
Don't let the weather get you down - SERVPRO of Kent is ready!
The unpredictable weather of the last several weeks has brought about an incredible amount of inconveniences and headaches for many Kent home owners and property managers alike.
The recent bouts of cold temperatures and snow, milder temperature and rain, and sporadic gusts have tested many of the neighborhoods and systems around the city, including backing up King County's West Point Treatment Plant to its maximum intake capacity and forcing the facility to temporarily bypass the excess into the Puget Sound.
Always Ready to Help
Because we are locally owned, we are ready and capable to respond at a moments notice. With 1650 franchises operating nationwide, SERVPRO of Kent has access to equipment required to handle any issues a storm or flooding may bring.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today - (253)850-1500
10 Tips to Make 2017 Your Best Year Yet
2017 is now in full swing and with January now having come and gone, has the start of your new year gone the way you had planned? Whether things are going exactly according to plan or if your path has been skewed by particular obstacles, here are 10 ideas that will help you along provided by Richard Branson, founder and CEO of Virgin Group, courtesy of BBC News.
- Follow your dreams and just do it
- Make a positive difference and do some good
- Believe in your ideas and be the best
- Have fun and look after your team
- Don't give up
- Make lots of lists and keep setting yourself new challenges
- Spend time with your family and learn to delegate
- Try turning off the TV and get out there and do things
- When people say bad things about you, just prove them wrong
- Do what you love and have a sofa in the kitchen
So how will you make the rest of 2017 better?
Fire Prevention Tips for your Kent Home/Property
A few small steps can go a long way to prevent fire incidents at your Kent home/property.
"It’s always good to find out you’re going to be working from home…
Unless you’re a firefighter."
According to the National Fire Protection Association (http://www.nfpa.org/news-and-research/fire-statistics-and-reports/fire-statistics/fires-in-the-us), in 2015, there were 500,000+ structure fires causing $10+ billion in property damage! Structure fires were reported every 63 seconds!
Here are a few tips to prevent a fire at your Kent home or property, provided by the American Red Cross (http://www.redcross.org/get-help/prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/fire/home-fire-preparedness):
- Keep items that can catch on fire at least three feet away from anything that gets hot, such as space heaters.
- Talk to children regularly about the dangers of fire, matches and lighters and keep them out of reach.
- Turn portable heaters off when you leave the room or go to sleep.
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home and outside every sleeping area. Also, install a carbon monoxide alarm in a central location outside each separate sleeping area.
- Check electrical wiring in your home.
- Avoid overloading outlets or extension cords.
- Make sure wiring is not under rugs, attached by nails, or in high traffic areas.
Have you checked your home or property for fire hazards recently? Have you had conversations with your family about what you would do in a fire emergency? What is your plan if a fire impacts your home?
SERVPRO of Kent specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire or smoke damage event and can help you get back on track after an incident.
If you have any questions about fire, smoke, or soot damage, call SERVPRO of Kent - (253)850-1500
Happy New Year Kent!
Goodbye 2016 - Hello 2017!
"I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're doing something."
On behalf of SERVPRO of Kent, our team wishes all of you a safe and wonderful New Year!
Kent Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Be careful! Without proper training, you could be spreading mold throughout your home!
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Kent for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Kent specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (253)850-1500
Kent 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of Kent provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in Kent
SERVPRO of Kent is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - (253)850-1500
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Kent has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Kent
SERVPRO of Kent specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Click HERE to Meet our Team
Click HERE to view our Company Profile and Certifications
When Storms or Floods hit Kent, SERVPRO is ready!
Our highly trained crews are ready to respond 24/7 to storm or flood damage in Kent!
SERVPRO of Kent specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Kent, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams (Storm Flooding Restoration) that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today! (253)850-1500
For Immediate Service in Kent, Call SERVPRO
Kent Residents: We provide immediate service day or night!
SERVPRO of Kent provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Kent. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – (253)850-1500
Whether your Kent home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or water damage to strike your Kent commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business. Learn more about our commercial services: http://www.SERVPROkent.com/commercial-restoration-services
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration